Zoonotic Disease Project
These animals look cute, but do you know that they may also be carrying diseases? These diseases are called zoonotic diseases. It means that they can transfer from animals to people.
This website is about zoonotic diseases. We want to provide the basic knowledge about zoonotic diseases.
Copyright © 2017 Melinda and Rui
Back to main page
To Zoonotic Disease Project 2
To Chinese version
- What is Zoonotic disease?
- Common Zoonotic Diseases
Commonly from ticks and mosquito bites:
Rocky mountain spotted fever
West Nile Virus
Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE)
(Click the name of the disease for more detailed information on the
CDC official website
- How do these diseases spread?
There are several ways that zoonotic diseases can spread between an animal and a person. It's important that people are aware of these kinds of contacts with animals that has zoonotic disease or is suspected to have a certain zoonotic disease.
or water. Unpasteurized milk, undercooked meat or eggs or unwashed fruits and vegetables are all unsafe because they have the tendency of being contaminated by the feces of infected animals.
- Direct contact: Having contact with the saliva, blood, urine, feces, and other body fluids of the infected animals. Examples: Pet or touch, bites and scratches.
- Indirect contact: Have contact with area where the animal live or objects that has germs from the animals.
- Vectorborne: Having contact with a vector, such as mosquito, tick, flea etc.
- Foodborne: Eating or drinking contaminated